Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Bluesman John Jackson

This is a good article about the late John Jackson, an Appalachian acoustic bluesman: http://www.folkways.si.edu/magazine-summer-2010-rappahannock-blues-john-jackson/african-american-music/article/smithsonian.
I saw him perform at the 22nd Kent State Folk Festival on Feb. 24, 1990, and was moved by his music. The blues touches me in a deep soulful way, and I need it as much as I need Celtic and Appalachian music. I bought his album "Step It Up And Go" (Rounder Records 2019) on vinyl that evening, and I recently rediscovered it; he even plays banjo on "Boil 'Em Cabbage Down". I found that he has more albums on CD, which are available at Amazon and through Smithsonian Folkways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.